During the Autumn/Winter season, mastering the Art of Layering is key. As the temperatures drop, there is the natural need to bundle and pile on lots of clothing to keep warm, and this is when one needs to know the tricks to building up a look stylishly because I think we can all agree the Michelin Man look is Not Hot.
So on that note here are my:
Layering Clothes Tips
- Whilst layering your clothes, streamline your sihouette by pairing chunky or oversized tops with form-fitting bottoms and vice versa.
- Invest in a sturdy yet fashionable jacket that reigns your look in. One of the things I love most about A/W is hunting for The Perfect Jacket. I’m really into maxi coats at the moment as you can see below.
- Roll up your coat sleeves to toughen up your look or to contrast the colours and textures of your layered ensemble. Here I rolled up my wool coat sleeves to expose the PVC wet look sleeves of my cardigan.
4) Remix a summer piece like your pair of open toe stilettos by adding tights. I can’t let go of my black platforms quite yet, and I find wearing them with tights and/or socks keeps them alive (as you can see above).
5) Don’t just pile up your clothes, layer up your accessories too. The colder it gets, the more I feel like I need my jewellery as armour to shield me from The Elements. With this look I went All Out in a a gold link chain headband, earrcuff and earrings, bracelets, rings, necklace…
6) Where would layering be without experimenting with different textures? This is one of the key ingredients to making your layered look have depth and depending on the fabrics: luxurious. In my look I play with faux faux, pleather, mesh, cotton, metals…
7) Adding a Pop of Colour adds pizzazz to your layered outfit. Here I opted for these snazzy black and cobalt blue print trousers. Enjoy seeing me in trousers, it will be a long time before you see me in a pair again…if I am to go down that road, I’m more of a leggings girl…
8) One’s waist is often lost during the A/W season, all that piling up of clothes can lead to a rather non-descript wasitline. If you still want to be snatched for the gods, invest in a good leather corset belt to reign those bulky cardigans in. And yes, for this shoot, I didn’t take me own advice. I didn’t even tuck in my mesh T. What can I say, sometimes I like to let it all hang out.
This year, in a bid to improve my Readers experience on my blog, I’ll by giving the option to Shop some options from My Look. And yes, I’m about 4 years late in doing this, but better late than never! PS As I wear so much jewellery ( :, for now I’ll pick and choose which ones I credit. Feel free to ask about the ones that take your fancy in the Comment Box.
How do you guys like to Layer Up for A/W and what A/W friendly pieces do you have your beady eyes on to purchase?
Shop My Look
Oversized Black Jacket with Fur Collar (Similar): Missguided, Mesh T (Similar): Hot!Mess, Open Cardigan with PVC wet look sleeves (Similar): Amazon, Slim Fit Print Trousers (Similar): ASOS, Black studded platforms with wooden heel (Similar): Modesens, Ear Cuff (Similar): Accessorize, Bullet gold chain with spikes (Similar): eBay